- Applicants must be between 14 and 27 years old on or before July 1, 2017. There is a limit to the number of young artists accepted into the program, so please apply as early as possible. The final deadline to apply for the Young Artist Institute is May 15, 2017. Preformed groups can apply to attend together - see the APPLICATION.
- To apply you need to include your video audition link. The video audition needs to include two selections: One movement from one piece and one movement from a contrasting work. Be sure and record works that you feel best show your levels of technique and style.
(The video needs to show you doing the playing and does not need to be of professional quality.)
Upload your video to YouTube and include the link address in the LINK ADDRESS box on the APPLICATION.
- Please read the RULES for PARTICIPANTS below and check the box where you agree to follow the RULES for PARTICIPANTS, then fill out the application. Click the SUBMIT button to send in your application and it will be delivered to the Institute staff. If you are applying for a scholarship, fill out and submit that application as soon as possible.
- A recommendation from your major teacher is requested by not required. It should be sent by email to MLBHarlow@gmail.com.
- Once notified that you are accepted, be prepared to provide proof of health insurance coverage that will continue through the end of July, 2017. You or your parents will be asked to sign a waiver to the effect that the Young Artist Institute is not required to bear the cost of medical issues that may arise during your attendance at the Young Artist Institute. The Homestead Resort is located at around a 20-minute drive to the Park City Hospital.
- You will be notified by email or phone and text regarding the status of your application, and, soon after, whether you have been accepted into the program.
- If you are notified that you are accepted into the program, you will need to register and pay your reservation fee of $100 that will be applied towards your tuition. Full tuition payment, and lodging fee (if applicable) must be paid in full by June 1, 2017.
- APPLY EARLY. The final deadline to APPLY for the Young Artist Institute is May 15, 2017, but priority is given to applications submitted before April 15, 2017.
If you wish to be considered for a SCHOLARSHIP, fill out and submit both the APPLICATION and the SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION forms as early as possible before SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO April 30, 2017. Since scholarships are limited and based on need, please apply as soon as possible. Priority for scholarships will be given to applications received by April 30, 2017. Scholarships will continue to be awarded after that date only if there is any scholarship funding left. Participants receiving scholarships may be asked to help with the music library, light rehearsal and concert setup and other duties during the Institute, but this work will not interfere with their full participation in the Institute.
RULES for PARTICIPANTS in the Young Artist Institute program:
(Failure to follow these rules can result in being required to leave without refund of fees.) Young players will be returned home at their parents' expense.
1. No alcohol or drug consumption by young artists is allowed at any Institute events and are not allowed on campus at the Homestead Resort. For those of you of legal age, you may not expose younger participants to drugs or alcohol under any circumstances. There may be times when young artists attend receptions or functions at the Beethoven Festival where alcohol is served but Institute participants will not be allowed to drink alcohol at those functions.
2. For your safety and protection, those of you who are taking advantage of the lodging program are not allowed to leave the campus without notifying a counselor. If you need to leave the Homestead Resort campus, you must notify and check out with your counselor before you leave, letting him or her where and how you plan to go. You will also provide a cell phone number where you can be reached. When you return, you will need to check in with the counselor. This is for your safety in case of emergencies or health concerns, and to make sure the Institute knows where you are if we or your families need to contact you.
3. There will be a curfew for all lodging participants to be in your rooms for the night. There will be times, particularly after concerts, where we all arrive back at a late hour and we need to make sure everyone gets back to campus safely. Rehearsals, private practice and coaching sessions begin early, so you will need to keep reasonable hours and avoid disturbing other young artists.
4. During private practice times, young artists will be asked not to visit or interrupt the practicing of the other players.
5. Personal property of the participants and the facilities at Homestead Resort need to be respected and protected by all the young artists. Please help us keep this a safe and conducive working environment. Any suspicious activity should be reported immediately to counselors or instructors.
5. You are expected to be responsible, civil and polite, both with each other and the faculty. You are required to be mature, motivated and responsible, as well as agree to follow the rules of the Young Artist Institute.
6. No outside visitors are allowed to visit or stay in Institute participants' rooms. Outside visitors during the Institute activities are discouraged as well, but families and friends are encouraged to attend and enjoy your concerts and the faculty performances. You can stay only in your assigned rooms.